09 October 2013

The Burning Sky

Author: Sherry Thomas
Series: Elemental Trilogy # 1
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Released: 17 September 2013
Summary: courtesy of goodreads.com It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…
Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.
Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.
But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life
My Review: You know – I really wanted to like this (I feel like I start of every negative review this way).  It’s the honest truth though – if I didn’t think I would like a book why would I read it? I realized something while reading it though, I have specific tastes when it comes to fantasy fiction, regardless of whether it’s adult or young adult – and The Burning Sky wasn’t my taste.
The plot was seamless, the story intriguing, the characters well rounded, I was even okay with the third person narrative.  I just didn’t enjoy it.  It felt really long (longer than was necessary) and there was a lot of unnecessary conversations – that may or may not come in to play in book two.  It’s nice to see that Fairfax is out in the real world making real friends when Titus can’t, but all the conversations about the British empire and cricket and tea were boring. 
There were also a lot of terms I think I was supposed to just understand.  Things I probably would understand if I read a lot of fantasy (which I don’t, obviously.)   I also felt the ending was a little bit rushed but slow at the same time.  I don’t know, this is a really hard one for me to review.  I know that people who like fantasy books will really enjoy this – I just have a very specific taste for fantasy, and unfortunately it’s not the high fantasy that this is – it’s more coming of age action/fantasy (Finnikin of the Rock, Graceling, and Magic Study).  This was a good book, just not my kind of good book.


No comments:

Post a Comment