07 October 2013

What YA Books You Should be Reading: Fall 2013

I'm asked quite a bit  
(in both my personal and professional life - thank heavens - being a librarian really is the best job ever.)

What should I read?

That's part of the reason I started this blog, so that I could either direct people here, or at the very least hop on and gather ideas when my brain decides take a field trip and I can't remember my own name, let alone books and authors that I've read and loved.

So, without further adieu, here is what I recommend everybody read this Fall
(if you haven't already - or if you have, read them again. Some of these have been out for a while)

1. Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
Fangirl is technically new adult (it takes place in college) but I think it's fantastic for everybody (warning: they drop the F bomb - if you're against that sort of thing).  I will say this though - I haven't had a book impact me the way Fangirl did in a long time - this is one of the best books I've read all year.

2. Goodbye, Rebel Blue - Shelley Coriell
I'm a pretty big fan of Shelley Coriell.  It's a fact. And Goodbye, Rebel Blue was great.  Like, great times a million to the thirteenth power great.
 
3. A Spark Unseen - Sharon Cameron
If you want an incredible series that makes London and Paris in the 1800's the coolest place ever - check out Sharon Cameron's The Dark Unwinding.  I will admit, I'm not normally a fan of historical fiction, but these books are AWESOME.
 
4. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black
Don't give up on the young adult vampire novel just yet! Holly Black gives a no holds barred account of what vampires really are - terrifying and addicting.
 
5. An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
 
Q: Is there ever going to be a time when you shouldn't read a John Green book?
A: No.
 
6. Divergent
If you haven't read this series yet, where have you been?  This is the only dystopian that made the list.  The final book is getting ready to hit shelves this month - and the movie is coming out next March - so get on it and read this fantastic piece of literature!

7. The Nightmare Affair
This book is one of the most fun books I've read since Hex Hall.  The sequel is coming out soon and - sigh - I just really enjoyed this.  I think it would be fun for a mother/daughter book club as well (because it's something both parties can read that has a hint of scary - for October - and the mother/daughter relationship in the book - though nontraditional - would be fun to discuss and explore).

8. Project Paper Dolls: The Rules
I'm also a pretty huge fan of Stacey Kade.  She won me over with The Ghost and The Goth series, and keeps winning me over with this.

9. The 5th Wave
Okay, I lied.  Two dystopian novels made the list - though I don't think this counts as dystopian since there is no utopian society involved - just adventure and spine tingles and leave the lights on/question your sanity.  I guess it's post-apocalyptic not dystopian - whatever.

10. Spies and Prejudice
The pitch for this was Pride and Prejudice meets Veronica Mars, but really it's just really great meets even greater which results in a whole book of greatness.

For links to my review of these titles, you can click on the Book Archives, but honestly there's just a lot of gushing going on - also to be fair, I haven't reviewed some of them yet. There's a lot of things I read that take me a while to review - I've got a list that I slowly make my way through when I have time.

Until Next Time,
E

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog and this was the exact post I need right now. Thanks for the recommendations.

    Love, your cousin in Norcal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lace! You make me feel incredibly special, I hope you like some of these :)

    ReplyDelete