18 May 2014

Rebel Belle

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Untitled – but first in a planned series
Genre: Paranormal Comedy
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Released: 8 April 2014
Summary: Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.
With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.
Review:  Many of you probably already know this, but I was late to the Rachel Hawkins fan club.  I didn’t read Hex Hall until famed Goodreads YA reviewer Wendy Darling recommended it.  I had seen it on the shelf at the library, and just by passed it as ‘probably something like Twilight (it wasn’t, by the way.)  However, after reading Hex Hall I was officially a fan of Rachel Hawkins, a pretty big fan as a matter of fact, and when I heard the promo blurb for Rebel Belle I knew, just knew that it was going to lodge itself in my heart, and I would do whatever it took to get my hands on it ASAP (it doesn’t take much, btw.  Just the release day shipping option on Amazon.)
And, let me tell you something, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Like, you have no idea.  I loved the characters, I loved the setting, I loved the overall tone of the story.  It feels like summer, and it’s hilarious.  I’m not one to laugh out loud when I read, but man I was laughing so hard I almost cried when I read this.  
I loved Harper, I loved the incorporation of the Southern elements, I loved her interior monologue about David’s wardrobe, and I liked the love triangle (that was kind of non-existent, in my opinion.)
Now, I know what you’re going to say “another YA love triangle, are we serious here.”  Umm, yes?  I mean: yes.  We are serious.  This one is the same but different.  Overall there is never a doubt as to who Harper is going to end up with, and to be honest David’s mishaps are atypical high school boy.  I feel like I probably would have been like David in high school – heck I was like David in high school (expect for the fact that I was, you know, a girl.)  But my school was divided, and I didn’t like the stuck up kids who seemed to have air where their brains should be.  It was the realization that David comes to – that it’s okay to think seemingly superficial things are actually important, that made this story work for me.  Although nothing is told from David’s perspective, you can tell there is a lot going on with him as a character, as does Harper – but Harper wasn’t what really got me into this.  It was David.  Hand’s down – and don’t get me started on Ryan.  Hmmm, he really pulled through in the end – unexpectedly.
I recommend this to any and all fans of paranormal books, Hawkins’ other series, and comedy.  Or, you know, everyone who loves books in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment