19 May 2012

Waiting

Author: Carol Lynch Williams
Series: Stand Alone
Genres: Realistic, Young Adult, Contemporary
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Released: 1 May 2012
Summary: courtesy of goodreads.com After her brother’s death, a teen struggles to rediscover love and find redemption in this gripping novel.
Growing up in Africa and Latin America as the children of missionaries, London and Zach were as close as could be. And then Zach dies, and the family is gutted. London’s father is distant. Her mother won’t speak. The days are filled with what-ifs and whispers: Did Zach take his own life? Was it London’s fault?
Alone and adrift, London finds herself torn between her brother’s best friend and the handsome new boy in town as she struggles to find herself—and ultimately redemption—in this authentic and affecting novel from award-winning novelist Carol Lynch Williams.
My Review:There is something that you should know about Waiting. It is written in that weird free verse sort of way that Crank is written in. I did not know this before reading it. And I think that pertains in part to why I did not like this book. Waiting was hard for me for a number of reasons.
Reason 1: The love triangle. SERIOUSLY! Why?! Love triangles are completely ridiculous and should be banned from ya books. Since when have girls like London become the object of guy’s affection? I mean, she is one messed up chick, which brings me to reason 2.
Reason 2: London is annoying. How many times do I have to read a YA book where every other verb seems to be crying, sniffling, weeping, etc. I get it. This book is sad, but there are ways to do sad. There are ways to balance it out and make you think more about life than death.
Reason 3: The relationships. In addition to London having weird, awkward, and ultimately unresolved amounts of boy trouble she also has really weird family issues going on.
In addition to the reasons listed above this writing style really just drove me completely crazy. It felt like a high school essay contest, dripping with angst that by the time I finished I was exhausted. (and it’s a fast read!) It seems like so many YA books today are dealing with death, which means that it has been done right before. Books like Saving June, get it right. This book was not one of those. I honestly can't say what exactly it was about this book that truly bothered me so much, but it's definitely not one that I would read again. Once was enough. 



No comments:

Post a Comment