23 July 2012

Silence

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Series: The Hush, Hush Saga # 3
Genres: Paranormal, Supernatural, Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Released: 4 October 2011
Summary: courtesy of goodreads.com Nora Grey can't remember the past five month of her life. After the initial shock of waking up in a cemetery and being told that she has been missing for weeks - with no one knowing where she was or who she was with - she tried to get her life back on track. Go to school, hang out with her best friend, Vee, and dodge mom's creepy new boyfriend.
But there is this voice in the back of her head, an idea that she can almost reach out and touch. Visions of angel wings and unearthly creatures that have nothing to do with the life she knows.
And this unshakable feeling that a part of her is missing.
Then Nora crosses paths with a sexy stranger, whom she feels a mesmerizing connection to. He seems to hold all the answers...and her heart. Every minute she spends with him grows more and more intense until she realizes she could be falling in love. Again.
My Review: Wow, well, okay.  That was a little unexpected.  And when I say “a little” I actually mean, “a LOT”.  I mean, seriously.  Why did I feel like I had read this book before?  Oh wait, because I HAVE. Silence was basically retelling Hush, Hush and Crescendo.
Somehow while I was reading I kept wondering why I kept going.  I mean, Nora has done a 360 back into the “stupid high school girl” character and Patch is, well, whatever he is.  He doesn’t really change that much.  The only thing that keeps me going is Fitzpatrick’s incredible writing style.  Without that these two starcrossed-lovers would be more starcrossed-go-on-our-separate-way-ers.  The plot to this novel seemed overly simplistic, the only complexity coming from the dialogue between characters.  It was like an epic smoke and mirrors show.  When you get right down to it, what really happens in this novel?  Nora discovers a bunch of things that she already knew.  Fitzpatrick is pretty talented, because she’s written two characters that I can’t seem to get enough of, even though I’ve read this exact story before, in the two previous novels.  Her writing style, filled with its witty jabs and mysterious undercurrents is what will keep me and has kept me going to the end of the this series.  I hope in the future that Fitzpatrick will go after some heavier Melina Marchetta-style material.  I think she can pull off some depth if given the chance, but unfortunately the Hush, Hush saga doesn’t really have much of it, in my opinion.  I’ll read Finale, because I’ve read the first three, but do I doubt that Patch and Nora will end up together after a systematic fight of good versus evil, nope.  I don’t doubt it one bit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment