22 June 2012

Requiem

Author: Jamie McGuire
Series: Providence # 2
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Jamie McGuire, LLC
Released: 11 June 2011
Summary: via goodreads.com In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.
Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.
When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key
My Review: Requiem was a really good follow up. Although I’m not a fan of series (especially trilogies, don’t ask why, because I read them all the time.) I felt like Requiem took the perfect spot as the middle book in a trilogy, it wrapped up nearly everything that happened in Providence, while setting up a strong background for what I assume will happen in Eden. So, what I liked about Requiem:
1. Jared. Question: will I ever get over Jared. Answer: No.
2. Claire. I have to admit, I really just love the Ryel family. Jared, Claire, and Bex are all such well rounded characters with such surprising personalities. I really enjoyed Claire stepping forward into the spotlight in this one. Her interactions with Ryan were also so hilarious, and the straightforwardness gives such a breath of fresh air compared to Jared’s drawn out explanations.
3. Beth. Beth is basically the best, best friend a girl could ask for. She just accepts Nina for who she is, and accepts all of her excuses for not being at work (and they are good excuses). She understands Nina’s job probably better than Nina does (like any fantastic assistant/bff) And she is such a great balance for Nina’s personality. Rarely does she have any massive freak out moments.
4. The dreams. They added just what I wanted for this story, a little bit of heart pounding mystery. Anyone who knows me knows that I scare easy, and these night terrors of Nina’s really made my heart go double time. It’s also nice whenever I get to see Gabe. Jared, being one of my favorite characters, seems to take a lot from his dad, so getting to see the way Gabe acted/reacted was pretty awesome. Also, there is another someone that has dreams from Gabe and I found that little tidbit to be cute and heartbreaking all at once. Love.
What I had a hard time with in this one.
1. It still felt like Nina was a little bit hung up on Ryan. I understand that she feels bad about certain choices he makes, but girlfriend, come on. You’re hurting your fiancĂ© over a dude that is kind of a jerk, and also a consenting adult who is old enough to make his own decisions. It’s strange because in Providence, I felt like Ryan didn’t have a chance, however in Requiem the Nina/Ryan relationship somehow seemed stronger (at least in the beginning).
2. Sasha. Sasha felt like a bulk character to me. I kept waiting for her to do something truly heinous (involving Shax or another demon) but she didn’t. As a matter of fact she kind of faded into the background, maybe she’ll have a bigger role in Eden? Who knows, but in this one she was kind of a loose cannon and my mind kept wandering to what she would do next instead of focusing on the story at hand.
All in all, I really enjoyed Requiem, as I mentioned before it fulfills the duty held by most middle books in a trilogy, and reads similar to Providence (though I felt Providence was a sort of whirlwind, and Requiem was a little more peaceful pacing-wise) Although there were some scenes in which I kind of lost some steam (being in the middle east, I just really don’t like Ryan with Nina. Ugh.)



No comments:

Post a Comment